Vatavaran is a small (strictly) not-for-profit organization that has decided that it simply must be hands on about the betterment of the world around us.
We’re not sitting here for one issue or the other, but for fighting things that bother us in our everyday lives. Mostly, however, we work to reduce, remove and recycle waste. We also work with urban villages, employment issues, welfare of animals and people, and plant trees wherever we go.
Basically – we’re determined to make a difference.
Here are a few things that will give you an idea of who we are and what we do:
1. Vatavaran was founded in 1994 by Dr. Iqbal Malik.
2. We work with sensitivity, passion, commitment and use a multi-pronged, down to earth approach to stop exploitation of natural resources, excessive waste generation, disposable culture and to resolve problems like disorderliness, congestion, noise pollution, solid waste and sewage mismanagement, barren and desolate lands, water woes, unkempt historic structures and upkeep of the stray dogs in the areas we work in.
3. We are strictly not for profit
4. We believe in decentralization. We create models for people to replicate and spread the word with. This could relate to something as big as working with a whole urban village or teaching you how to make a vermin-pit. We promote self-sustenance.
5. We believe in fair trade. Everything we do is geared towards generating more for people (in terms of amenities, employment), and more for the environment (more trees, less waste).
6. Vatavaran works with individuals, communities, organizations, families, kids, teachers, fortunate, less fortunate, educated, not-so-educated, and anyone who wants to get their hands dirty!
7. We train, we teach, we maintain, we check up, and we also leave you to your devices when we know you’re good to go!
To put it simply, we want to live in an ideal world, where we give back what we consume from nature, where we don’t interfere in the natural workings of the environment, where we respect our ‘vatavaran’ and live in it, as a part of it, not trying to conquer and alter it all the time!
However, we understand that life is unbearable for us without luxuries that we take for granted – like technology, like fancy packaging, like disposable cutlery, like hot water. So we choose to accept this but figure out how best to use these with minimal damage to the environment.
We are a part of this eco system, and we work to preserve everything about it:
Plants, trees, forests
Animals, insects and people
Water, soil and air
We try and understand what is it that is obstructing the natural flow of events and try and innovate solutions. We help to minimize wastage and re-use the waste as best as possible.
If there’s something you want to know about us and can’t find on the website, email us and we’ll try and get the information to you!