Why homemade shampoo and conditioner? Do shampoo manufactures have your best interest? Since you are reading this post, I assume you are at least becoming sceptical. However, there are many very strong toxic chemicals which you can find in many hair products. Strong shampoos are damaging your hair if you are using them in a long term. Even more – cosmetic s products include Triclosan, which is an antibacterial agent. Triclosan is toxic to aquatic life; it has been found in the bodies of fish and human breast milk. In shampoos we can also find pthalates and parabens which have been linked to breast cancer and reproductive problems.
Basically manufactured shampoos are:
-damaging your hair
– polluting the rivers, lakes, sea, oceans
– effecting water animals
-linking to serious health problems
To make your own shampoo and conditioner is super simple!
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup liquid Castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s, which you can find cheaply on Amazon)
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (like jojoba, olive oil, almond oil)
- Essential oils for a nice smell of your hair (as lavender, orange…)
Mix all the ingredients into an old shampoo or glass bottle and you’re good to go!
Another way to make your shampoo is baking soda! But, you have to rinse with vinegar if you want your hair feeling as light and fluffy as it always does. Alone, baking soda has a tendency to dry hair out. Here’s what you do:
- Mix 1 table spoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. You can make it also in bigger quantity to use it several times.
- When you’re ready to use, shake and apply to your scalp, scrubbing it in.
- After you’ve scrubbed your scalp with the baking soda, rinse with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
HOME MADE CONDITIONERS
There are many way how to make a perfect conditioner for your hair. Here are some ideas:
For soft, smooth hair: 1 ripe banana, 2 table spoon Honey, 2 table spoon Olive oil
For dry, damage hair: 1 cup of yogurt, 1/2 mayonnaise, 1 egg
Hair fall: 1 cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup of orange juice, 4 table spoons of lemon juice, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 egg
Blend all ingredients to make a smooth paste. Apply it to hair and leave it on for a half an hour.
Give your hair a try of Nature!
Katja Polc, member of Vatavaran team